Sunday, October 23, 2011

Schooooooooool!

Tuesday the 4th was a major milestone for my little Nugget. His first Early Intervention pre-preschool class without Mommy in the room. Same teacher, same aid, no parents. This is what they call their 'transition class'. Kids going to the little weekly classes (they call them 'groups'), which is what he's been doin every Tuesday since January, are put into the transition group glass 3 months before they turn 3 years old to get them ready should they qualify for a preschool program (which most of them do) when they do turn 3. I was SO nervous/worried about this transition. Why? Nursery. Caden simply cannot handle Nursery on Sundays. If I'm in the room he is mostly okay; he can look around, find me, and have something to ground himself on. When he flies solo? Nuh-uh. He only lasts about 5 or 10 min before they have to bring him to me, and we're not talking 'mom's gone so I'm going to pitch a fit' carrying-on, we're talking full-on wringing the ears, shaking, resistant to every act of attempted calming, meltdown...genuinely freaked out. So I was so so so worried about how he would handle going solo in his preschool group.

I shouldn't have.

Mom, really? Another picture? You're embarrassing me...:



And just before the door opened:
I'm ready! Can I go in now? Huh? Now? Can I?



About 5 min before the little class was to end, they came to the room us parents were hanging out in and just made my day. They said "He did SO good. He just loved it. He looked around every so often and would go 'Mommy? Where Mommy go?' but then was fine, like he knew you were gone, but big deal." I was thrilled! And mucho surprised. When I walked into the classroom he squealed "Mommy! HI Mommy!" then came over to me, pulled me down to my knees in front of him, grabbed my face with both hands to make sure I was paying attention, and proceeded to tell me ALLL about the day (only about 4 words of which I actually was able to decipher). He jabbered about it all the way home, had to tell Grawmma (my mom) all about it when she called later that afternoon to see how it went...he was so excited. Every class since has been the same thing. He does fine when I leave, has a blast during class, then can't get it out fast enough when he tries to tell me about it later.

I love my little dude so much, and am so proud of him. But I don't like how fast he is growing up! Can't someone slow down the clock a little....please?

No comments: